If you have your kids in an outside program, music group, or sport, please help teach them a simple lesson: Be Prepared.
I write this after 15 years of having my kids on sports teams, music groups, clubs, and classes. Yes, I’m sure your week was busy. So was mine. But there are times in life we still get things done during tough times.
Let’s imagine there is an activity with 10 kids. Then imagine of those 10 the following:
- 1 is always late
- 2 never practice
- 1 tries to practice the night before to make up for skipping the rest of the week
- 1 never brings the right tools or equipment
- 1 has a terrible attitude.
If those roles rotate from week to week, that means the teacher, leader, or coach has 40% of those involved on time, practiced, prepared, and ready to go. The other 60% hold those who did what they were supposed to back.
A music class cannot play harder music if half the class refuses to practice. If your kid is in a group music class, and you don’t make sure your kid practices every night, then the whole group plays simpler music. Then MY kid doesn’t get what I paid for – a challenging, fun music program. It could be music or anything else.
I understand different families have different standards. However, when I pay for opportunities for my kids and your kids’ failure to prepare drag down the bar of expectation, I grow frustrated. When I’m the teacher or leader of such groups, I’m doubly frustrated because I know what the kids were capable of, prepared for it, but we can’t get there.
What are the secrets to success for a great class or activity? Be:
- On time
- Tools ready to go
- Attitude ready to focus and work.
Parents can impact their kids’ future work ethics. It can be a positive or negative impact.
If you take the time to schedule an activity and get your kids there, and often to invest in it, doesn’t it make sense to make the most of the opportunity?
Kids who know to be prepared are better prepared for life.